It’s always a risk posting anything remotely positive about the Singapore government – the anti-gov sentiments are so darn strong online! But I can’t help but marvel at prime minister Lee Hsien Loong’s social media efforts. From food pics to humblebraggin’ posts, LHL’s various social media accounts have got all of them covered. Seriously. Props to his publicity team LOL.
Believe it or not, here’re 21 times Lee Hsien Loong totally nailed the whole social media thing:
1. That time an owl flew into his office and he tweeted AND instagrammed it like a regular person would.
I can almost imagine him going “omg omg omg it’s an owl. GUYS, IT’S AN OWL!!!!” Much like a regular person would!
2. That time he humble bragged about sitting next to Aung San Suu Kyi
What he said: “At the Singapore Summit this evening, I shared my optimism about prospects for Asia… blah blah blah”
What (I imagine) he’s really saying: “CHECK IT OUT I’M SITTING NEXT TO AUNG SAN SUU KYI YO!”
3. That time he was really proud about LKY receiving an Honorary Doctor of Laws from NUS.
^^ See how his face shines with pride!
4. Look! He even instagrammed a pic he took on his own phone!
5. That time he shared a #throwback pic of him and Tan Chuan-Jin from way back in ’89! Note the #nostalgia hashtag!
6. That other time he posted a #throwback pic. This time of him and his wife, Ho Ching, with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge! He even joined in on the #Royalbaby and #Itsaboy hashtags!
7. When he took the train and was garang enough to stand right in the middle of the cabin where there are no train handles to hold on to! Fierce.
8. The times he posted touristy pics just like the rest of us do! For instance, there was the “view from my hotel room window” pic in Tokyo,
9. The night view of the Bali resort he was staying at,
10. And a photo-of-someone-taking-a-photo-of-me-against-a-scenic-background post!
11. And he posts scenic shots of Singapore too! Such as the Singapore skyline,
12. Palawan Beach at Sentosa,
13. Mount Faber,
14. And even Kampong Lorong Buangkok, Singapore’s very last Kampong.
15. That time he posted a food shot on Instagram.
16. And his very recent post on the Orchard Road Christmas Lights where he took a pic with some ‘mak ciks’ (aunties).
17. AND THEN HE APOLOGISED FOR CALLING THEM ‘MAK CIKS’ BECAUSE HE REALISED HE’S TOO OLD TO CALL THEM THAT.
18. What about that time he ping-ponged between being sad and happy on twitter like regular twitter users do?
19. And, of course, the times he took selfies! With university students,
20. His old army buddy,
21. And, of course, that famous selfie he took with his Malaysian counterpart, Najib Razak!
Thanks for reading! If you liked this post, you may also enjoy reading some of my other posts, such as: 35 Childhood Memories of the Late 90s in Singapore, 22 Signs You’re An Ex-Convent School Girl and The Infinite Amount of Times Singaporeans Really Looked Out For Each Other